Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Election Day

I feel like a bad reporter. No, scratch that, I AM a bad reporter. I just went willy-nilly off in the rain with my World Wildlife Federation umbrella proudly proclaiming my tree-hugging liberal ways, without a thought as to actually documenting my experience at the polls.

I arrived at Springfield Elementary School, St. Andrews 32, about nine-thirty. There were about ten people ahead of me leading in to the door and perhaps thirty or so in line past the desks, waiting on a machine.

The only problem I saw (and it wasn't really a problem, more of an annoyance since there was only one district voting there) was the signs for the A-K or L-Z lines were hanging from the front of the desks and couldn't been seen. But as the desks were only inches from the door, it wasn't causing any mix-ups. (And what really drove me crazy about it was the lines were backwards - the L-Z line was first, then the A-K line. ARRRGH!)

I don't remember what number I signed in on, but the poll worker there told me they had been "really busy" earlier in the morning.

There were only three machines, but the line moved at a reasonable pace, for all the special things on the ballot, although judging by overheard conversations, most already knew how they were going to vote on them.

I didn't have any problems with my machine, everything was correct as I touched the screen. (The poll worker didn't clean it after the last person, are they supposed to do that? I mean, I don't even use "public" pens anymore - I use my own. I'm not as bad as my mom who carries alcohol wipes with her and wipes down everything she might come in to contact with, but it has cut way down on the number of colds I get.)

I finished about 10:20 or so. Jason was in line, second or third from the door when I left, and he got home around 11 for lunch. (We live only a few blocks from the school.)

He didn't have any problems either.

We had smoked turkey and swiss cheese sammies with lettuce and tomato for lunch. Oh, wait, that's not news.


Thor sez: Remember: If you don't vote, don't complain!

No comments: