Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Missed Opportunity

I feel sorry for Ted Haggard. I feel even sorrier for his wife and children who were unknowing hostages in his deception.

I feel sorry that he, for whatever cultural or religious teachings he absorbed, felt that a natural part of himself – his sexuality – was evil and shameful.

It isn’t. It’s just part of who he was.

I’m sorry that we still live in such a judgmental and cruel society that he felt he had to hide his true self.

I’m sorry that he felt he had to let his secret fester and putrefy into something that led him to dangerous behavior.

I’m sorry he felt that he could reduce his feelings of guilt by attacking those who were like him.

I’m sorry he couldn’t just be open and be accepted and be loved for who he was, the real person he was.

Isn’t that what we all want? The love and companionship of others? The security of an intimate relationship with a person who loves and understands us? Who we love and understand?

And I am extremely sorrowed and sickened by the fact that instead of this ugly incident being used to examine the perils and pain caused by narrow minded judgments, instead of it being lifted up as a reason for tolerance and understanding, it is going to be used by James Dobson as a platform for his homosexual “recovery” program.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, Dobson and others are going to counsel Ted Haggard until he isn’t a homosexual anymore.

It sickens me and causes me despair to the point where I can’t even imagine how my gay friends and neighbors bear such hatred in the guise of Christian love.

But excuse me now as I go to PROUDLY vote NO on Amendment One. It will probably pass in this state of "Christian love", but at least I will know that I stood up to legalized discrimination.


Loki sez: Vote NO or I'll jump on your head.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree - I feel badly for him too. It's a lose-lose situation for everybody involved - there's nobody 'winning' in this one.

I just got back from voting 'no'. Yes, at least we can do that.

Daniel said...

Amen.

Kelly Love said...

Right on, sister. I probably don't have to tell you that I'm voting NO also.

It's sad, but it's really the social climate created and perpetuated by conservative Republicans that force conservative Christian Republicans like Haggard to become hypocrites. And Mark Foley. And the late Jim West (Spokane mayor and Senate majority leader who was recalled after gay sex scandal).

Shouldn't they have figured out by now if being gay was a choice, these self-hating assholes would have picked heterosexual?