Friday, October 09, 2009

Oh, If I Were In a Ranting Mood

I'm trying not to rant. It isn't good for me. It isn't good for anyone, really, but good gawd y'all.

I was going to rant about some ultra conservatives who are rewriting the bible to "remove liberal bias" such as editing the from the cross "Forgive them for they know not what they do" line because, the authors say, some of those "they" knew exactly what they were doing.

Silly me, I thought that was what the whole thing with Jesus was about - forgiving regardless.

They also want to edit the ten commandments to change do not worship false idols to not worshipping false "media". Okay. So there goes Faux News.

I'd hate to see what they would do to the Sermon on the Mount.

I was also going to rant on a video I saw on Facebook about a baby that was systematically beaten and tortured for over a year before he died and how he fell through every crack and was let down by every one who had a chance to save him.

But what angered me was the "oh, well, he's an angel now" attitude. That's just great. Doesn't help, it's pointless, only comforts the horrified with a false sense of some sort of celestial justice. The baby was still beaten and tortured and endured a life of constant pain and no loving affection. Saying he is in heaven now is like saying flowers still bloomed while he suffered. Meaningless.

Then I woke up this morning to the whole Nobel Peace Prize hoopla. It's too much. I already get chest pains when stressed out at work.

Our culture wants to be stupid and reactive and thoughtless. We want Glen Beck to tell us how to feel. We wait like slack jawed emotional junkies for our latest outrage fix. We are so caught up in our knee jerk reactions that we are no longer capable of stepping back and looking at ourselves, either individually or as a nation. We surround ourselves with people who think, speak, believe and act exactly as we do and allow our circle to convince us that the whole nation is just like us and relentlessly attack and villainize anyone who does any different.

From now on, I'm just the stupid cat lady with stupid cat pictures.

Loki sez: Huh? My name isn't Cain.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We seem to be an angry, disrespectful, short- fused nation...wearing our "busy-ness" as a badge of honor....Our power
was out for 3 hours this morning and all I could do was sit quietly-pray - read and watch the rain...it
was really quite peaceful...cold but peaceful.
Pam, South Bend

Anonymous said...

If you want a re-written bible, try this:
www.lolcatbible.com

(and don't get me started on the Nobel Peace Prize - so I guess they think Sarcozy should have gotten it? If not Obama, then who? Bunch of idiots!!)
Auntie Anon

Pat said...

I really like the "What has he done to deserve that? He hasn't done anything!" stuff. I'm sorry - just getting Russia to lighten up and talk with us again is huge. Who wants another Cold War? Oh, I guess everyone would be happier with Obama if he strutted around on aircraft carriers in his bomber jacket like our former alcoholic cowboy president did. Shock and awe, shock and awe...

Sharon said...

You're kidding about the people rewriting the Bible, right?

Please tell me you're kidding.

JanetLee said...

Sharon - http://liberalvaluesblog.com/?p=10445. I can't find the original newspaper article that I saw, but this has most of the information.

Sharon said...

Thanks, Janet. The comments showed pretty much the same reaction as mine, along the lines of "Say what?"